- 3 cups cooked pasta
- 4 strips thick cut bacon (reserve 2 Tbs of drippings)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh rosemary, minced
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Al dente refers to the desired texture of cooked pasta in Italian cooking. It literally means "to the tooth". When the pasta is cooked al dente, there should be a slight resistance in the center when the pasta is chewed.
Slice bacon fry in pan. Reserve 2 tbs of bacon drippings, drain bacon pieces on plate lined with paper towel, set aside.Add 3 tbs of olive oil, reserved bacon drippings, herbs and garlic to hot skillet.
Fry eggs keeping yolk soft and creamy. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
Quickly combine pasta, pan drippings, bacon and Parmesan cheese. Toss pasta, drizzle more olive oil if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top pasta with fried egg and serve immediately. Optional: top with chopped fresh basil
So there you have it! An affordable but scrumptious carbonara.
Original recipe from: Lazy Woman's Dinner